T&C Law Firm (“T&C”) was founded in 1986 and has grown ever since, in response to our clients’ needs, from a small, local practice to a full-service law firm with national prominence. Today, T&C is among the leading law firms in Eastern China, and is recognized nationally for our transactional and litigation practices.
T&C has over 110 legal professionals, with offices in Hangzhou and Shanghai. Our core practice areas include general corporate practice, capital markets, real estate and construction, international trade, foreign direct investment, intellectual property and dispute resolution.
T&C is a founding member of the Sino-Global Legal Alliance (SGLA) which was launched publicly in September 2007 by Lovells LLP and nine leading regional Chinese law firms including T&C located in the major PRC economic centres.
Awards and Recognition
Recognized as an Outstanding Law Firm by the Ministry of Justice, T&C was also the winner of the 2008 Asia Legal Business award for Zhejiang Law Firm of the Year 2008 . In addition, T&C was consecutively recognized by the All China Lawyers' Association (ACLA) as a National Outstanding Law Firm in 2005 and 2008.
Representative clients of T&C include China Mobile Zhejiang branch, Zhejiang Expressway, Zhejiang Telecom, Wanxiang Group, China Longgong, Zhejiang Energy Group, Zhejiang Transportation Investment Group, China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation Zhejiang, Qing Chun Bao Group, Wahaha Group, Greentown Group, Hengyi Group, Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport, Geely Holdings, Zhejiang Materials Industry Group, Zhongda Group, Xizi United Holdings, Guangsha Group, Zheshang Bank, Bank of Hangzhou and Bank of China Zhejiang Branch.
Qualifications and Background of Lawyers
T&C has an excellent reputation for its talented practitioners, with many of our lawyers holding high-profile positions in the profession. Wang Qiuchao, a founding partner, was Chairman of the Zhejiang Province Lawyers' Association from 2004 to 2007 and has served as a director of the ACLA since 2005. Zhang Jingzhong, our managing partner, has served as Chairman of the Hangzhou Bar Association since 2004, and has succeeded Wang Qiuchao as Chairman of the Zhejiang Province Bar Association in 2007. Other partners in T&C also play important roles in national and provincial lawyers' associations, as well as in the China Law Society.
T&C's legal advice is based on a broad and deep foundation of knowledge, since many of our lawyers have dual professional educations. Nearly 20 lawyers in T&C have other professional qualifications in addition to their law licenses, including Certified Public Accountants, Patent / Trademark Agents, and Bidding Agents. T&C has 17 lawyers who are accredited arbitrators of the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) and the Hangzhou Arbitration Commission. Additionally, over one-third of T&C's lawyers have international education backgrounds, and T&C's lawyers can conduct work for clients in English and Japanese.
Main Practice Areas
Foreign Direct Investment and International Trade
T&C has a practice group of fifteen lawyers focusing on issues relating to FDI and international trade and has advised a variety of multinational companies on establishing joint ventures, wholly foreign owned enterprises and representative offices in various industries, as well as advising on issues related to asset acquisition, including due diligence.
Representative FDI matters include:
- Advising and participating in major FDI projects in Zhejiang by multinational corporations such as Motorola, Texas Instruments, Otis, Toshiba, Panasonic, Fuji Electric Group, United Biscuit, Shell Group, Kyaerner, Alstom, Sanofi, Siemens, Saint-Gobain, and Hong Kong Airport Administration with an aggregate total investment of USD 30 billion.
- Representing Wahaha Group against Dannone Group in the SCC arbitration and domestic litigations with respect to the disputes arising from their Joint Venture Contracts.
T&C has twenty-five lawyers in their Securities Law Practice Group, with extensive experience in advising clients on a variety of financial instruments, including preparing equity securities and debt offerings, convertible bonds and depository receipts. T&C also has a strong practice in share offerings and has assisted clients with filing IPOs on the Shanghai Stock Exchange, the Shenzhen Stock Exchange, the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the London Stock Exchange.
Representative securities matters include:
- Advising Zhejiang Expressway Co., Ltd. on an H-share IPO raising 450 million USD
- Acting as PRC legal counsel for Greentown China Holdings Ltd. on its IPO raising USD 350 million on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, issuing USD 400 million high yield bonds in the Singapore Stock Market and issuing USD 150 million convertible bonds overseas.
- Acting as Chinese legal counsel for China Longgong in raising over HKD 3 billion via issuing additional shares and convertible bonds
- Acting as long-term legal counsel for many PRC companies with A share listings.
Real Estate and Construction
T&C's Real Estate and Construction Practice Group consists of 12 lawyers specializing in the area. T&C advises clients on the full range of issues relating to real estate and construction law, including acquisition and transfer of land use rights, land use rights grant procedures, registration and title issues and issues relating to the regulatory system governing construction. In addition, T&C has advised on a number of large-scale major infrastructure projects in Zhejiang province.
Some representative matters in real estate and construction handled by T&C include:
- Advising China Greentown Real Estate Group Co., Ltd.
- Providing legal services for a variety of large real-estate group companies and their subsidiaries, including Zhongda Real Estate Group Co., Ltd., Canhigh Group Co., Ltd., Sundy Real Estate Group Co., Ltd., Zhejiang Jiangong Real Estate Group Co., Ltd. and Zhejiang Sanjiang Real Estate Group Co., Ltd.
- Advising on major infrastructure projects in Hangzhou, including the Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport, Huanglong Sport Centre, the Hangzhou Subway System, the Qianjiang New City development project and the Qingchun Tunnel.
T&C's corporate practice is one of our primary fields of work. We have 15 lawyers in the practice group, who work on a wide variety of corporate matters, including advising on mergers and acquisitions (M&A), assisting clients in establishing a practical corporate governance structure for their China entities, and providing general corporate advice on legal and regulatory matters.
Representative corporate matters include:
- Advising Xizi UHC on its acquisition of Baida Group
- Advising Modern United Holding Group on its acquisition of Hangzhou Tianmushan Pharmaceutical Enterprise
- Advising Insigma Technology Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of a Hong Kong company
- Acting as chief counsel in restructuring Zhejiang Commerce Bank, the first commercial bank in Zhejiang to issue shares
- Providing consulting services to Xiaoshan (Hangzhou) International Airport in regard to strategic planning, negotiations, communications, drafting agreements, obtaining regulatory approvals, and closing
- Acting as lead counsel in the restructuring of Sinopec in Zhejiang Province, involving more than 100 oil refining enterprises.
There are 20 lawyers in T&C's seasoned dispute resolution practice group, which acts on approximately hundreds of litigation and arbitration matters each year. The dispute resolution practice group cooperates closely with all groups in the firm to provide comprehensive legal services to clients in defense of their rights under PRC law. In addition to acting in litigations for clients in all of the above practice areas, T&C has experience litigating and arbitrating disputes among shareholders, maritime disputes and disputes involving bankruptcy and insolvency.
Representative dispute resolution matters include:
- Acting as lead counsel for Wahaha Group in its disputes with the Danone Group
- Representing the government in resolving disputes in connection with the land for West Lake International Golf Course.
Biographies of Key Partners
Wang Qiuchao is the founding partner of T&C. Mr. Wang qualified to practice law in 1982 and was honored as first-class lawyer in 1999 for achievements in his practice. Mr. Wang is ex-chairman of the Zhejiang Bar Association, vice-chairman of the Zhejiang Law Society, a director of the ACLA, an arbitrator and expert member of CIETAC's Shanghai Commission and a member of the Commission of Legislative Affairs of the Hangzhou People's Congress.
Zhang Jingzhong is the managing partner of T&C. Mr. Zhang received a B.A. from Zhejiang University Law School in 1984 and qualified to practice law in 1988. Mr. Zhang is chairman of the Zhejiang Bar Association, vice-chairman of the Hangzhou Law Society, a member of the Commission of Legislative Affairs of the Hangzhou People's Congress and a post-graduate student supervisor of Zhejiang University Law School. He has been recognized by the Ministry of Personnel with a Paragon in the Judicial and Administrative System Award for his distinguished service in the legal profession.
Huang Lianxi is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Practice Group. Ms. Huang received an L.L.B. from East China University of Politics and Law in 1983 and was qualified in the same year. Ms. Huang went to England for legal training from 1991 to 1992, returning to practice in Hong Kong with a focus on corporate legal matters. Ms. Huang was vice-chairman of the Zhejiang Bar Association and is a member of standing committee of the Zhejiang CPPCC and an accredited CIETAC arbitrator.
Gao Feng is a partner and director of T&C Shanghai office. Mr. Gao received an L.L.B. from Zhejiang University and qualified to practice law in 1990. He has been recognized as a Zhejiang Outstanding Lawyer and Top 10 Lawyer of Zhejiang Province by the provincial government and is an accredited arbitrator with the Hangzhou Arbitration Commission.
Xu Guoning is a partner of in the firm's Real Estate and Construction Practice Group, and his practice is focused on matters relating to real estate and construction issues arising in corporate practice. Mr. Xu received an L.L.B. from Zhejiang University Law School in 1984 and an L.L.M. from Southern China University of Politics and Law in 1998. Mr. Xu has been qualified to practice law since 1986.
Lu Chonghua is a partner in the firm's Securities Practice Group, and his practice is focused on advising clients on issuing and underwriting domestic and international securities. Mr. Lu received an L.L.B. from East China University of Politics and Law and an M.A. in Finance and Securities from Zhejiang University. He has been practicing law since 1987.
Wang Lixin is a partner in the firm's FDI and International Trade Practice Group and his practice is focused on advising clients on international trade and investment. Mr. Wang received an L.L.B. from East China University of Politics and Law and studied law abroad in the USA and Hong Kong in 1993 and 1999, respectively. Mr. Wang has been qualified to practice law since 1987 and since then has often been recognized as a leading practitioner, receiving a Top Ten Arbitrators award from the Hangzhou Arbitration Committee in 2001, the Zhejiang Bar Association award in 2002 and the Hangzhou Bar Association New Star award in 2003.
11/F, Building A, Dragon Century Plaza,
No. 1 Hangda Road
Hangzhou, China 310007
Tel +86 571 8790 1111
Fax +86 571 8790 1500
11/F, Huaneng Union Tower,
958 Lujiazui Ring Road
Shanghai, China 200120
Tel +86 216886 6600
Fax +86 21 6886 5466